Financial Assistance Available
The Tribunal can award an eligible applicant financial assistance for:
- Reasonable counselling expenses
- Reasonable medical expenses (including dental, optometry, physiotherapy, hospital and ambulance expenses)
- The replacement of damaged clothing worn at the time of the crime
- Reasonable safety-related expenses (from 1 July 2010, for Primary victims only)
- Reasonable funeral expenses
- Lost earnings up to a maximum of $20,000 (Primary & Secondary Victims only)
- In exceptional circumstances, other reasonable expenses that will assist an applicant in their recovery from the crime
- Special financial assistance (Primary Victims only)
- Distress and dependency (Related Victims only)
Financial assistance may be awarded for reasonable expenses actually incurred, or which are likely to be incurred in the future, as a direct result of the crime.
Does the Tribunal consider claims relating to property loss or damage?
The Tribunal cannot award financial assistance for expenses incurred through the loss of, or damage to property as a result of a crime, except clothing worn at the time of the crime and in some cases security expenses.